Thursday 29 December 2011

My Year in Numbers

Normally each chunk of this post would have slipped by as a facebook status update as I went past each of my targets or out-did my previous year's numbers. However, this year I have only actually reached one target out of 10 on the list.



Running
Plan for the year was to average 20miles a week for a total of 1040. This was meant to be a big step up from previous years to accommodate the Edinburgh marathon in May. Only raced 124 miles this year. This included a marathon, and still comes out as my lowest total ever. Even in year's where I was doing sprints and hurdles I was totalling over 145 miles a year of racing. The marathon itself was a nightmare. Original target was 4 hours, after training I expected to go closer to 3:30 but instead ended up at 4:44:25. Completing the marathon did tick off the last event on my list. I have now raced every athletics event, I believe I am the first Moray Roadrunner ever to manage a full set.

End of year running total: 771.8 miles. Still works out as my highest milage year ever, despite coming up nearly 300miles short of target. Total to July 1st was 705.6 miles. Since July 1st 61.2 miles.

Biking
Plan for the year was to just come up slightly from last years low total of 380 to an average of 10 per week for a total of 520. Target was intentionally low as I didn't plan to do anything much on the bike till after the marathon. From there I was expecting to go to a longish ride every weekend and then sail past the target to give me a better idea of what I could handle next year. Only racked up 40 miles of racing on the bike, against last year's 108.

End of year actual total: 253.3 miles. Total to July 1st was 150.3 miles. Since July 1st 103 miles (including 44 going to and from Stonehaven half marathon on July 3rd before going on holiday).

Swimming
Vaguely counting this one as a success for the year despite missing 18 of 50 Club sessions. Target was originally 39 miles based on my 2010 total of 38.7. Last TPT session of the year was a 20 minute time trial and I managed to cover 1100m, compared to only 975 for the same TT last year. Having only been in the water 6 times in the previous 5 months I didn't even expect to get to 1000m.

End of year swimming total 43.6 miles. Total to July 1st was 26 miles. Total since July 1st was 17.6 miles (includes 4.7 miles worth of pool and sea swimming on holiday).

Climbing
Only went once this year. Shouldn't have bothered with it.

Session totals
Including all of the above, gym sessions, weights, circuits, ... I did 218 training sessions this year, against a planned target of 312.

End of year session total was 218. Total to July 1st was 158. Total since July 1st was 60, but since August 1st was only 31.

Other numbers
I turned 35 this year. If I had stepped on a running track since July 6th I would have been the first Moray Roadrunner ever to have compete as a Junior a Senior and a Veteran. I don't think anyone else is in a position to beat me to that claim for another couple of years so I still have time to get it.


So normally I would be sitting down to set my 2012 targets now. But to be honest I don't have any reason to, or for that matter any desire to. There isn't any real point to setting swim and bike targets if I can't run. I don't really trust anyone enough to go climbing with them, and I still don't trust myself to go out on the bike alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment